Work 14 shifts within a 28 day period rotating schedule split between between 10 hour day shifts and 14 hour night shifts. Exposure to health hazards, smoke/fumes, chemicals, temperature extremes and noise in firefighting and emergency situations.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Grade 12 or equivalent and 6 months on-the-job training
- Firefighter certification NFPA Levels I and II or equivalent
- Successfully meet the department’s technical, physical and medical requirements
- Rookie Firefighter: 0 – 6 months experience
- Within 6 months completion of Job Performance Reports
- 4th Class Firefighter: 6 – 12 months municipal firefighting experience
- 3rd Class Firefighter: 1 – 2 years municipal firefighting experience
- 2nd Class Firefighter: 2 – 3 years municipal firefighting experience
- Incident Safety Officer Certification
- Emergency Scene Management Certificate
- 1st Class Firefighter: 3 – 4 years municipal firefighting experience
- Officer Level I Certificate
- Class 3 Driver’s License & Air Brake Endorsement
- Work within a command structure requiring strict adherence to following orders
- Ability to work day or night under stressful situations
- Work effectively independently or in a team environment
Additional certifications required include but are not limited to:
- Standard First Aid/CPR Level C and Oxygen Therapy
- Defensive Driving & Hazard Avoidance
- Technical Rescue Course
- Wildland Firefighting Basics
- Aerial Ladder Operations
Examples of Equipment to Operate:
All fire apparatus, fire rescue and related equipment including but not limited to: pumper, tanker, rescue vehicle, automobile extraction tools, wildland firefighter and technical rescue equipment. General office equipment including computer skills to operate software programs related to work processing, spreadsheet, electronic mail etc.
Job seekers are required to create an online profile and submit their application electronically through the City’s online Applicant system via www.whitehorse.ca/careers. Instructions on applications are provided at https://www.whitehorse.ca/our-government/employment/how-to-apply/. If you have any further questions regarding this posting, please contact the recruiter at HR@whitehorse.ca.
To apply for this position, you are required to submit your resume.
Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the recruiting process.
At the time this posting closes, candidates must have valid and current licenses/certifications/education that match the position requirements. Candidates who are selected to continue with the recruiting process will be required to provide proof of qualifications during their interview