Every Fire Department across Canada will have a fitness test in which you must meet standards to move on in the qualification process.
Why are there fitness standards that must be met to qualify?
- Firefighting is a physically demanding job.
- You must be physically capable of performing demanding tasks.
- Strains and sprains are the number one injury on the fire ground.
- Physical fitness can reduce a lot of these injuries.
- Studies show that heart attacks are one of the leading causes of death for active-duty firefighters. In the last decade, about half of on-duty firefighter deaths were caused by heart attacks.
- Regular exercise can help in the prevention of deaths caused by heart attack.
Physical Fitness also helps with stress management and mental health as part of self-care.