Website Peterborough Fire Services
Welcome to the City of Peterborough Firefighter Recruitment Process for 2022. This page includes information developed by Peterborough Fire Services and the Human Resources Division to provide you with helpful information about the process throughout all the various steps.
To be eligible to compete, candidates must meet the following qualifications:
- Successful completion of a Pre-Service Firefighter Education & Training Program at an OFM Endorsed Community College and or NFPA 1001 level I & II
- Ontario Fire Administration Inc (OFAI) Candidate Testing (CTS) – Certificates for Stage One, Stage Two and Stage Three
- Successful completion of OFAI swim test
- Grade 12 education or equivalent as approved by the Ministry of Education
- Valid Ontario “D” Driver’s License with “Z” endorsement: Must have attained at time of application. Must have no more than 4 demerit points in a single violation, OR no more than a total of 5 demerit points. Proof of valid driver’s license with DZ endorsement and a driver’s abstract will be required at the time of offer
- Pleasure Craft License
- Must have no criminal convictions for which a pardon has not been granted. (Proof of a clear criminal reference check will be required as a condition of an employment offer)
- Valid Standard First Aid with Basic Life Support Certificate or Health Care Provider Certificate
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- Speak, read, and write English proficiently and communicate clearly and precisely under demanding conditions
- Visual requirements in accordance to NFPA 1582: https://www.ofai.ca/candidate-testing-information/stage-two-vision-assessment
- Hearing requirements as per OFAI standards
- Proof of COVID 19 vaccinations (minimum 2)
Candidates must be prepared to work 24-hour shifts including weekends and holidays.
Overview of the Recruitment Process
The Recruitment process will consist of several steps as outlined below. Candidates must successfully pass through all steps of the recruitment process in order to proceed to each consecutive step.
The recruitment process will identify successful candidates for our hiring needs.
Contact the City of Peterborough Human Resources Division by telephone at 705-742-7777 ext. 1770 or email Kathy Rochon.
Further information regarding the OFAI Candidate testing can be obtained at www.ofai.ca.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I apply?
Submit your application using our online Probationary Firefighter form.
When are applications due?
No later than 12 p.m. on Friday, October 21, 2022.
Can I submit all my certificates and other supporting documentation when I apply?
No, all supporting documentation will be requested at the time of the interview. The only documentation that is required is outlined above in Step 2.
I do not have time to get my D Licence with Z endorsement; can I still apply if I can get it before an interview?
No, candidates must have a valid “DZ” License at the time of application.
I do not have time to complete the OFAI Candidate Testing. Wil you accept test results from other organizations?
No, applicants must have completed and passed the OFAI Candidate Testing in order to apply for our 2022 recruitment.
My OFAI certificate will be expiring before October 2022. Do I need to get an updated certificate prior to applying?
No, we are asking that candidates have valid OFAI certificates on the day that they apply. Should you be selected for an interview, you will be required to provide updated, valid certificate(s) at that time
I submitted my cover letter and resume and have now completed additional training. Can I submit another resume?
No, please do not submit more than one resume.