Website Ontario Power Generation
Emergency Response Maintainer -TERM
Pickering, ON, CA, L1V 2R5
Status: Term Contract (up to 2026)
Education Level: Grade 12 education or equivalent. Fire Fighter I & II Certified
Location(s): Pickering, ON
Shifts(s): Days and/or Rotating Shift including nights, weekends and holidays
Travel: Yes- As required
OPG continues to set the bar for environmental protection, community involvement and economic impact—all while safely keeping the lights on.
Now we’ve set our sights on being a net-zero carbon company by 2040 and a catalyst to help the economies where we operate achieve net-zero by 2050.
OPG operates a diverse portfolio of generation assets including nuclear, hydroelectric, biomass and solar. We are also a clean tech leader and innovator, offering challenging and unique work opportunities. Help us use our power to change the world.
BE THE GENERATION to help build a brighter tomorrow.
OPG is looking for dedicated, results driven and dynamic professionals to join our team in the role of Emergency Response Maintainers (Fire Fighters) located in Pickering, Ontario.
Reporting to the Shift Emergency Response Manager, you will be responsible for performing Emergency Response Maintainer duties to actual site medical and fire incidents in accordance with procedures, policies and regulations while working within the generating facility and properties, such as, first aid/medical situations, hazardous materials response, fire response, rescues and health & safety situations. Perform routine testing and maintenance activities for fire response tools and equipment.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in an environment where you will contribute to Ontario Power Generation’s continued growth and success in generating safe, clean, reliable low-cost power in a sustainable manner.
- Perform emergency response to actual site incidents in accordance with policies, procedures and regulations. This would include but is not limited to incidents such as fire emergencies, first aid/medical situations, hazardous material, rescues and health and safety situations. Operate and maintain response equipment.
- Perform inspection, testing, operation and maintenance of emergency response equipment including but not limited to firefighting and Hazmat equipment, fire extinguishers, and fire-related station equipment and systems.
- Demonstrate the use of Self-contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA), as required.
- Process “hot work” activities, as recognized by the National Fire Code, transient combustible materials permits and fire related documentation.
- Act as a technical resource to other work groups on emergency response issues.
- Perform functions related to the work group, such as work group communications, procedure writing and assessing.
- Accountable for the health, safety and well-being of self and others, in accordance with technical/operating procedures and standards.
- Provide training and makes formal presentation for station non ERT and ERT staff in the use of emergency procedures and equipment such as, fire, hazardous materials and rescue.
- Continue and maintains training qualifications for the position.
- Shall maintain a level of physical fitness that is relevant to the type of work being performed, which involves successfully completing the Firefighter Fitness Assessment and maintain annual physical and medical incumbent testing as required by CSA-N293.
- Minimum Grade 12 education or equivalent (please attach a copy of your diploma with your application).
- Completion of Fire Protection Technologist program considered an asset
- NFPA 1001 Fire Fighter I & II Certification (please attach a copy with your application).
- NFPA 1072 Hazardous Materials Operation Level (please attach a copy with your application).
- Valid York Physical Fitness Fire Fighter Test OR Ontario Fire Administration Inc. Candidate Testing for all 3 stages (please attach a copy with your application).
- Valid Ontario Driver’s License certification for “D” with “Z” endorsement (please attach a copy with your application).
- Valid certification for Standard First Aid and CPR (please attach a copy with your application).
- Ability to pass OPG Fire Fighter Medical Assessment.
- Strong communication skills. Concern for safety.
- Self-control. Relationship building. Self-confidence.
As Ontario’s largest clean energy generator, OPG offers an exciting combination of challenging opportunities and career diversity in a work environment where safety is a fundamental value. Being an OPG employee means you can apply your knowledge, broaden your skills and make a valuable contribution to an organization that is vital to Ontario’s success.
At OPG, our values are our strengths. They are fundamental truths about our organization that don’t change.
Safety. Integrity. Excellence. People and Citizenship.
Here’s why OPG might just be the ideal workplace for you:
- Exceptional range of opportunities province-wide
- Long-term career growth and development opportunities
- Electricity is vital to the province and OPG’s clean electricity is helping decarbonize other sectors.
If you are looking to learn from others and be part of something important, and you are excited about the future of power generation, you will find the right fit at OPG.
Our promise to you:
- We care about the safety and the well-being of our employees. It is our utmost priority.
- A supportive work environment where you can be your best every day.
- Opportunities to stretch and develop.
- Offer different ways for you to give back to communities where we operate.
- Partner with Indigenous communities and support local businesses.
- We support employment equity, diversity and inclusion.
Please submit your application online at https://jobs.opg.com/ and attach all your supporting documentation. OPG thanks all those who apply; however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
OPG is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment where all employees feel valued, respected, and supported. If you require accommodation during the application or interview process, please advise us as soon as possible so appropriate arrangements can be made. If you require information in a format that is accessible to you, please contact AODA@opg.com