Website Burlington Fire Department
|Open Date||Nov 16 2023 – 03:30:00 PM||Close Date||Dec 16 2023 – 11:59:00 PM|
|Position Title||Firefighter (Multiple Vacancies)||Posting Type||IAFF Local 1552|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Permanent Full Time|
|Department Group||Hours per Week||42|
|Department||Burlington Fire Department||Openings||4|
|Education||College Diploma or Certificate||Company||City of Burlington|
Working for the City of Burlington
A great career is closer than you think. Come work for the City of Burlington, where you’ll be joining an innovative and progressive workplace focused on building a 21st century city that respects the diversity of our residents, visitors and employees; and prioritizes continuous opportunities for you to learn and grow.
We don’t just spend time attracting the best talent. We spend time and resources to keep the best talent. This may include a great pension and benefits package, as well as programs to foster innovation and leadership.
This position is required to work in person at a fire station. Work location is subject to change at the discretion of the City due to operational demands.
The Burlington Fire Department is a team of highly trained and caring professionals who provide vital services that increase community safety and quality of life. We are currently seeking candidates to fill the role of Probationary Firefighter.
The recruitment process is lengthy and involves many steps. It is important for candidates to read all directions and be prepared for each step. Interested candidates should review the 2023 – 2024 Fire Recruitment Guide.
Through this physically demanding career successful applicants will respond to fires, motor vehicle accidents and medical calls, and provide technical rescue services in areas such as hazardous materials, high-level rope, and ice/water. Firefighters are also involved in delivering public education and prevention initiatives to the community and are responsible for routine maintenance of stations and equipment.
To be considered for this position, you must meet the following mandatory qualifications:
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Have a grade 12 or equivalent education
- Be able to provide a criminal background check indicating you have not been convicted of a criminal offence for which a pardon has not been granted, including a vulnerable sector search (proof of this is not required until conditional offer of employment)
- A valid Class DZ driver’s license is required with an acceptable driver’s abstract with no more than three (3) driving related convictions and an accumulation of no more than three (3) demerit points in the previous three (3) years prior to the date of hire.
- Have current First Aid and CPR certificates, minimum level C
- Successfully completed NFPA 1001 level 1 & level 2
- Successfully completed ALL SEVEN COMPONENTS of the Firefighter Services of Ontario Screening Test. Applicants must apply online and register for the Firefighter Screening Test with Firefighter Services of Ontario.
Applicants meeting all of the above mandatory qualifications and successful completion of all six components at Firefighter Services of Ontario must provide:
2) Proof of education
3) First Aid/CPR certificates
4) Proof of Class ‘D’ Ontario drivers license with ‘Z’ endorsement
5) Proof of completion of NFPA 1001 level 1 & level 2
6) Proof of any preferred qualifications as described in the Recruitment Guide to Firefighter Services of Ontario at the time of their appointment. Firefighter Services of Ontario will forward all information onto the City of Burlington.
Police Check Requirement
This position requires the successful candidate to provide a clear criminal record check with a vulnerable sector screening at their own expense.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, the City of Burlington accommodates the individual needs of applicants with disabilities within the recruitment process. Please call us at 905-335-7602 or email us at: email@example.com if you require accommodation to ensure your equal participation in the recruitment and selection process.
If you wish to be considered for this role, please forward a cover letter and resume, in PDF format, to Fire Service Ontario (FSO) at: https://www.fireontario.com/site/firefighter-recruitment by December 16, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
Please note, the successful completion of FSO testing is mandatory if you are applying for this role.
To complete the Firefighter Services of Ontario Screening Test, you must pre-register with Firefighter Services of Ontario by December 16, 2023. To register for the 1) Clinical Evaluation 2) CPS Aptitude Examination 3) CPAT 4) Tread Water Test 5) Medical Assessment (Hearing & vision screening) 6) Acrophobia Test and 7) Emotional Stability and Resiliency Assessment.
To register for Testing with FSO, visit https://register.fireontario.com/.
To apply for this job please visit www.burlington.ca.