Website The Grande Prairie Fire Department
Detailed Job Description
The City of Grande Prairie is looking for individuals who have exceptional customer service and who want to be part of a team. As a first responder, you will respond to fires, dangerous goods incidents, motor vehicle accidents, medical co-response, technical rescue, and wildland fires within the City of Grande Prairie. You will be trained on evidence-based practices and the latest equipment the fire service has to offer.
The Grande Prairie Fire Department (GPFD) is a career fire service comprised of the Fire Chief, two (2) Deputy Chiefs, seventy (70) Fire Suppression personnel, four (4) Fire Prevention staff, one (1) Chief Training Officer, one (1) Training Officer, one (1) Logistics Officer, twenty-three (23) Dispatch personnel and two (2) Administrative Support personnel. GPFD is a well-equipped, innovative fire service that enjoys positive labour relations and strong support from the Senior Administration and City Council.
As you grow within the department as a career Firefighter, you will have the opportunity to branch into specialized areas within Fire Suppression, Fire Prevention, Training and Logistics.
GPFD offers a Wellness Fitness Initiatives Program, a Peer Support Team, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), and a Sub Pension Plan.
GPFD is currently in a recruitment process to fill upcoming positions as Firefighters, with the 4 most junior newly hired positions being flex Firefighter positions as per our Letter of Understanding.
- Excellent Written and Verbal communication skills, especially under stressful conditions
- Committed to continued Learning and Health & Safety
- Motivated and Innovative
- Quick Learner
- Committed to Physical Fitness
- City Guiding Beliefs: Service and Caring, Integrity, Fun, Cooperation, Flexibility
- NFPA 1001: Standard for Firefighter Professional Qualifications: Level 1 and Level 2
- ACP recognized EMR Program and/or recognized minimum 80-hour Advanced First Aid Certificate
- Valid Class 3 & 4 Alberta Driver’s License with Air Brakes (Q) Endorsement or Equivalency
- Minimum of a High School Diploma or equivalency
*Applications without these qualifications will only be accepted if you can obtain the qualification by November 15, 2023 – proof must be provided at the swim test.
As per the IAFF Local 2770 Collective Agreement, Flex Firefighters are scheduled an average of 42 hours per week. The shift pattern may be altered to meet operational requirements with all attempts to provide a minimum of twenty-four (24) hours’ notice to shift changes. A 24-hour shift schedule is currently in effect.
$37.72 as per the IAFF Local 2770 Collective Agreement
The posting will close at noon on October 13, 2023
We thank you in advance for your interest. There are several steps in this selection process. Please ensure you follow the instructions carefully when uploading your information. Those selected to continue within the steps will be contacted by phone or email. You will be required to travel to Grande Prairie, AB for portions of this process.
- Submit your application using this web page’s “Apply Now” tab.
- Applications will be reviewed and short-listed.
- Aptitude Test – You will be contacted by email if you are successful in this step.
- Phone Interview
- Job-Specific Fitness Testing – Task Evaluations, Treadmill Test, Swimming Proficiency Test, and Acrophobia Test
- In-person Interview
- Station Assessment
- Medical Assessment
- Security Clearance – Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector
- Psychological Assessment
Note: Once you apply and upload a resume you should receive an email confirming that your application has been submitted for this position. If you receive this email, there is NO further need to contact us regarding this position.
- This posting may be used to fill future vacancies in this position.
- This posting may be used to fill more than one position.
Due to the high number of applications we receive per job posting, we cannot answer job-specific questions before the interview. If you are successful in getting to the job interview stage, we will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have at that time.
To apply for this job please visit cityofgp.startdate.ca.