Website Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service
Applications will be screened to ensure all of the following qualifications have been met. If you do not meet ALL of the required qualifications, your application will be rejected.
You must be:
- At least 19 years of age on the date of your application
- Eligible for employment in Canada – You must be a Canadian citizen, a holder of a Permanent Resident Card, a Landed Immigrant, or otherwise legally entitled to work in Canada (i.e., holder of a work visa).
- Completion of NFPA 1001- Level II (Including HazMat Operations) from an approved accredited agency.
- No criminal convictions, no pending adult criminal charges, and an ability to obtain Vulnerable Sector Police Information Check clearance.
- A valid class 1, 2, or 3 Drivers Licence (or provincial equivalent) with air brake endorsement (Automatic only restriction is accepted) and a good driving record. (A current driver’s abstract dated no more than 30 days prior to the recruitment competition. The abstract should demonstrate responsible and safe driving behavior).
- High school diploma completion or equivalency;
- Equivalencies can include:
- General Educational Development (High School Equivalency Diploma)
- An undergraduate/applied degree or journeyman certificate
- Completed 2 years of a recognized apprenticeship program
- Equivalencies can include:
- A current First Responder Licence with Spinal and AED or greater (e.g. EMR or PCP Licence);
It is applicant’s responsibility to keep all licences current throughout the recruitment process, all costs associated with obtaining and maintaining these licences are at the applicant’s expense. You are required to provide documentation to verify the above qualifications.
These additional skills and experiences will enhance your application but do not replace the required qualifications:
- Work experience related to firefighting such as auxiliary/volunteer firefighting, first aid attendant, paramedic, or forestry firefighting.
- Completion of a Post-secondary education program (Certificate, Diploma, Associate Degree, or Degree).
- Enrollment in or completion of a Trade Certification (Interprovincial Standards Red Seal).
- Employment in a profession that demonstrates mechanical aptitude.
- Experience volunteering and community involvement.
- Fluent in other languages.
- Additional fire-related courses.
- Team participation and on-going commitment to physical activity.
- Work experience highlighting dependability, initiative and high work ethic.
- An Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) or Primary Care Paramedic (PCP) Licence.
The recruitment process for the Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service has been broken down into eight (8) different stages. 2022-2023 AFRS Career Firefighter Hiring Process.
- Stage 1 – Application and Pre-Screening
- Stage 2 – Written Exam
- Stage 3 – Occupational Skills Assessment – Day 1
- Run, Swim, and Sill Stations
- Stage 4 – Occupational Skills Assessment – Day 2
- Interview, Presentations, and Skill Stations
- Stage 5 – Reference Checks, Police Information Check, and Vulnerable Sector Search
- Stage 6 – Fire Chief Interview
- Stage 7 – Conditional Offer
- Stage 8 – Pre-Employment Medical Evaluation and Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT)
The City of Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service appreciates all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted via email to proceed to the next stage.
It is the candidate’s responsibility to ensure email addresses are valid and up-to-date and computer firewalls/security is set up to accept emails from the City. It is the candidate’s responsibility to check emails on a regular basis as there are deadlines issued for payment and scheduling.
All testing stages are in person, and cannot be faxed, emailed, or taken online.